Fort Gaines is a small rural community founded in Southwest Georgia in 1814. Its history is rich, its natural resources bountiful, its citizens friendly.
Short winters and balmy summers, the acres of rich timberland that surround it, and its proximity to Lake Walter F. George have made Fort Gaines a haven for hunting and fishing for many years. Please visit the water-information network for Clay county to learn more about our water resources.
Recently several of the historical homes and monuments in the city have been revitalized, and the Dept. of Natural Resources has put renewed effort into the state parks in Clay County and along the lake. Also, in 1998 the Meadowlinks 18 Hole Championship Golf Course opened 4 miles north of town proper. This has made Fort Gaines an even more enchanting and inviting prospect for visitors and vacationers.
Come visit with us a while in this information-packed electronic forum. Then come visit us in person.
Historical Society Newsletters: